5 Ways to Look More Relaxed in Headshots
You can have the best headshot photographer money can buy, but if you don’t look relatable and engaging in your photos, they’re not going to have the effect you are hoping for.
When you’re relaxed before and during a headshot photo session, it’s easier for your personality and professionalism to shine through.
Here are a few things you can try to make your upcoming headshot session worthwhile.
- Relax before your shoot. Whether you want to run a bath or put on your favorite playlist, do something before your headshot session that will put you in the right headspace. You can even ask your photographer whether you can bring your playlist along with you.
- Engage with your photographer. You should already have an idea of what your photographer is like prior to your session. However, it can also help to ask them a few questions before your session begins to help you feel even more comfortable with them.
- Don’t freeze. Your headshots are meant to tell a story so don’t feel like you have to freeze for several seconds as you wait for the camera to click. Move your head and shoulders and try out different poses as and when they feel right – your photographer will do the rest. And most importantly, don’t forget to breathe. Holding your breath will make you feel more anxious, which will show through in your photos.
- Think about your character. Because you want your headshots to reflect your character, it helps to repeat things out loud or in your mind that speak to your character. For example, if your trustworthiness is one of your best traits, you could say something like “I trust you” to emulate the feeling of a client or employer trusting you.
- Dress accordingly. Your headshot session is not the time to try a new outfit or hairstyle. You want to look and feel good, but you want to be comfortable too. This will help you feel more confident and relaxed for your photos.
There you have it – 5 basic tips that will help you have a more positive headshot experience. Don’t forget to have fun! Your photographer knows what they are doing.